Monday 2 August 2010

'The Perfect Gallery'

I went along to the Cube gallery in Manchester to see 'The Perfect Gallery'. Which opened on the 29th July.
When I first went into the gallery It was just white walls I thought to myself have they actually finished setting the exhibition up. I walked around the top floor and found nothing. Then I went downstairs, there was a little black room where the Programme about 'The Perfect Gallery' was on.

"When I was asked to make an exhibition for the space I had in mind the fact that gallery architecture is often talked about more than the art inside it".
Jankowski

For this programme Christian Jankowski worked with TV designer and presenter Gordon Whistance to create a one off edition of the 30- minute BBC interior makeover programme 'House Invader'. Jankowski invited presenter Whistance, who is relatively unfamiliar with contemporary art, to demonstrate his idea of a perfect exhibition space using the Pump House Gallery in London as an example.

"Artwork is The Perfect Gallery"
Jankowski

My opinion on this exhibition was really good. I like Jankowski idea of having the exhibition space as the artwork I thought that was quite different. Usually when you go the a gallery you expect to see images, paintings, objects etc. That is usually the audience's view of a gallery. So its good to be different and to use such an idea. The gallery was painted white and had lights placed in the right places to give it an exhibition 'look'. It was also said in the programme that ' The Perfect Gallery left a legacy for future artists'. Which shows that you can go above and beyond when it comes to art work, and not to just go with the obvious way and to try something different.
When I had finished watching the programme and was about to leave the gallery. The set up of the white walls that I orginally thought was an unfinished exhibition at the beginning was like the white walls of the 'The perfect gallery' 'Pump house gallery' .

No comments:

Post a Comment